Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Beading

This is a craft I've done since Grade 3 when three Cree women came to my class at Opasquia Elementary during one of our well-intentioned aboriginal education sessions.
Yep, I'm a child of the 70s.

I still do beadwork, these days mainly to cover logos that I've ripped off of new purchases, especially knapsacks and camera bags.




The funny thing is, in my desperation to remove the branding, I almost always slice the new fabric with the stitch ripper. I blame this on the company's effort to make the embroidery indestructible so that the label is never lost.


To rid myself of the corporations' logo, I damage my nice new things.


Needless to say, I loved Naomi Klein's No Logo and remember a conversation at university with friends who wondered why I removed what they called cool logos. In other words, the branding marks of companies people like, like Apple, or Roach, or MEC.


Whether I like the company or not I do not want to walk around with anyone's mark on my back. Not without payment for advertising for them.

No comments: