Saturday, May 02, 2009

Nuu-chah-nulth territory


A Hupacasath welcoming figure at the Tsu-ma-as River in Port Alberni.

I referred to Nuu-chah-nulth in my last post and should probably explain.

Nuu-chah-nulth are the aboriginal people of the west coast of Vancouver Island and northern Washington State. The name means all along the mountains and sea, referring to the lands west of the snow-peaked mountains that run up the spine of Vancouver Island.

There are 14 distinct groups and there's been enough archaeological research done on at least one of them, the Tseshaht First Nation, to demonstrate that they have inhabited these lands continuously for at least 5,000 years. The Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council has an excellent website where you can learn more about the people, their language and culture.

When I roam around the Alberni Valley, or over to Tofino or Bamfield, I am always in Nuu-chah-nulth territory and I appreciate their allowing me to be here.

Choo.

No comments: